Sunday, January 13, 2008

first mobile Google Maps Mashup?

My Google Alert notified me about Myrimis today.
( Myrimis )
It really looks very promising if you 'take the tour' on their website.
Social networking-like capabilities, Geotagging photos, Geofences, a mobile client.
So I registered and downloaded the client (Symbian only, Windows Mobile 'coming soon'. It's the other way around most of the time)
To my great surprise I noticed that Google maps and satellite images are being used.
I thought Google did not allow mobile usage of those yet.
The downside is that the client is so cluttered with functionality and the maps work so different from Google Maps, that the Wow-effect soon diminished.
But it's yet another example of the direction in which we're heading.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: location based services are on the verge of a major breakthrough.

No comments: